Freitag, 11. November 2016

WTF happened and why should I care?

I have had a weird conversation with my husband yesterday. Usually we don't really talk politics because honestly, I am not really a politic person. Not that I don't care, I am just easily overwhelmed, and frustrated with politics so I mostly avoid getting into it. Or reading the newspaper. Or watching the news on TV.

But the last two/three days you couldn't get around talking politics and worrying about the future. At least I couldn't. I woke up Wednesday, checked my twitter and my newsfeed and was shocked. In disbelief. Worried. Frustrated. Almost in Tears. Trump won! How could Trump win? WTF happened...

I am still in disbelief, following the news online all day, sometimes barely able to do anything. I wanted to stay in bed Wednesday because I felt so bad (also I had just overcome a flu). And being a person who always verbalizes her feelings and needs to talk about it, I am talking about it. Which leads us to this weird conversation with my husband. He is a rather non-emotional, very rational person who doesn't really talk about his feelings. He doesn't dwell on things. He is only concerned about the "here-and-now". He doesn't understand me, even more, my behavior annoys him. Key argument that kind of shocked me was "why do you even bother thinking about it? We don't live in America, he is not our President. Why do you care??"

How ignorant and dumb can you be? And how did I miss the fact that my husband seems to not care? About a guy who hates women...or blacks...or muslims...or gay people...or basically anyone except himself. A guy who now has power over nuclear weapons and could easily bomb anyone. A guy who behaves like a 5-year old that has his candy taken away, as soon as someone disagrees with him.

I am white...I own a bit of money that I inherited from my family...I don't need to worry about food or a place to stay... I own a house...my husband has a job that is well payed...I am privileged if you want to say so. I am someone that wouldn't have to worry about bullying, name-calling or being harassed if I lived in the USA. So why do I care, why do I bother thinking about it. I am in that group of human beings Trump likes (mostly, minus the fact that I am a woman)...except that I am not.

- I support LGBTQ
- I am a Democrat
- almost all of my friends in the US voted for Hillary
- I have black friends
- my kids have muslim friends, chinese friends and friends from lots of other countries. I love that!
- my sister worked with refugees (my mom too) and used to be head of a refugee home

We have friends in the US. I used to live and work there for a while back in 98/99 and I loved it! (now I even think about cancelling our vacation plans for next years summer trip to Florida) One of my best friends lives in Chicago, she is German, she got married there so she owns a Greencard, her husband is black and she has an 18-months old daughter. I am a f**king scared something will happen to her or her family. Fact is, she is an immigrant and her husband is black. She sent a Whats App on Wednesday saying "after the shock there is only one thing on my mind  : help, get me out of here!" I almost cried.

One thing my husband is right about is the fact that there is really nothing I can do about it. It is what it is. The people decided to vote for Trump and now we all have to live with that. All I can do is oppose his views and tell everyone how wrong that view of the world is. And be good...and do good...and vote here in Germany next year so we don't follow in Americas footsteps!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen