So yesterday I told a few people about my blog. I hadn't done it earlier because I didn't know if I would really feel the insipration to write more than one post and also thought it would be nicer if there are already at least a few posts to read.
I will tell you now why I started a blog. The idea had actually been in my head for a while, I just wasn't sure if there are really people out there who want to read what I write. I also had been discussing it with my hubby and he wasn't really happy about it (will get to that in a minute).
I started reading blogs a few years ago, If I remember it right it all started with the Livejournal of my friend Mara, I think that was back in 2005. We hadn't been in close contact for a while and I was glad I was able to read a bit about how she had been and keep up a bit with what is happening in her life. I also started reading blogs from Germans who had moved to the US to live and work there. I had started taking part in the Green Card Lottery I think in 2001 and so I followed a few blogs to see how the process would be in case I actually win myself (which unfortunately hasn't happened yet - booo). I clicked myself from blog to blog, found a few very interesting ones and kept reading. I never really interacted (by commenting) because even though it was interesting to read their stories I didn't know these people and kinda found it weird to comment on something a total stranger had written about their life.
After a while I started reading my "blog-friend" San's blog (check it out here). I liked the way she wrote, I found a few things that we both had in common and one day she requested that any new readers should come out and comment to introduce themselves, so I did. It was cool to interact with someone so far away (she is a German living in California). I really enjoy meeting new people, in real life and online, there are so many interesting life stories. From there on I actually interacted with some of the people whose blogs I was reading, and after a while I thought it would be nice to start writing about my life myself. I also signed up on facebook and found a few old friends from my time in Canada and the US. One of them also had a blog and I once more thought how cool a blog is to let people far away know about you, your life and family. I hadn't seen her for like 10 years and reading how she had been was great.
I spent a lot of time online to find old friends and get back in contact with them, I told my hubby about it and he wasn't really impressed. He is working in the IT Business and was concerned about my safety. One of the first things he said was something like: "yeah, and then you tell a lot about yourself and some creep reads it and they try to hack you account or find out were you live...blahblah" He clearly didn't like the idea because he was scared I would spill everything to people I don't actually know. Same with my facebook, he didn't like the fact that I was posting pics and info about were we live and stuff. especially when it included our kids and himself. He refused to sign up himself and also found it kinda creepy that I was checking out profiles from old classmates whom I hadn't seen for like 15 years. He didn't see the need in getting back in contact with friends from the past. (Lately he did sign up though but rarely is on facebook)
Over the years I noticed that I started sharing more and more on facebook, I am also a member of a board/forum of mommys whose kids were born around the time my oldest was born and we share stories and advice, which is very helpful and the ladys there have become my closest online friends. I interacted a lot more with people on their blogs and I cared a lot less about hubby and his negative attitude towards blogging. I got used to the fact that he would roll his eyes and shake his head whenever I would start a sentence with "guess what my blog-friend said..." or " I read on a blog somewhere..." I more and more found myself thinking after a long day how nice it would be to write down my feelings, or rant a bit or share my thoughts with someone else than my hubby who rarely really listens closely anymore (I don't mean that in a bad way, I just tend to talk A LOT and his attention span is rather short). ;)
The only thing keeping me from it was, that in my close surroundings (family and friends) no one is really blogging and only a few of them are on facebook. I didn't know if they would think I am weird for spilling my life to strangers online. But lately I found a lot of cool blogs, most of them food blogs with gorgeous pictures of wonderful cakes or cupcakes. As I have started baking (plus taking pictures to share what I baked). I thought it would be nice to share some of my creations online. I posted them on facebook and got a lot of positive feedback but wanted to post more and actually write a bit about baking/cooking/my life in general. So here we go now, I gave in to the voices in my head that told me it doesn't matter what others think, do what you want and what makes you happy.
So from now on you can read my stories about the crazy life with my hubby and my two kids, my thoughts about all kind of things that are on my mind lately, my baking adventures (including my dream to open my own little bake shop) and a lot more. I will probably fulfill my hubby's wish and not share a lot about the kids (especially pics) on here. I do that on facebook because there 90% of my friends are people I know personally. If you are a new reader (meaning no one I know personally or through blogging or facebook) send me a comment, introduce yourself and I might just share more via email if I like you.
Oh and feedback/advice is always appreciated because I am new to this and after reading blog for years now I understand how important it is to know that I am not only writing this for myself.
Irene
P.S. I still have to tell hubby I started this...right now I am still not sure if I will in the near future :)
I will tell you now why I started a blog. The idea had actually been in my head for a while, I just wasn't sure if there are really people out there who want to read what I write. I also had been discussing it with my hubby and he wasn't really happy about it (will get to that in a minute).
I started reading blogs a few years ago, If I remember it right it all started with the Livejournal of my friend Mara, I think that was back in 2005. We hadn't been in close contact for a while and I was glad I was able to read a bit about how she had been and keep up a bit with what is happening in her life. I also started reading blogs from Germans who had moved to the US to live and work there. I had started taking part in the Green Card Lottery I think in 2001 and so I followed a few blogs to see how the process would be in case I actually win myself (which unfortunately hasn't happened yet - booo). I clicked myself from blog to blog, found a few very interesting ones and kept reading. I never really interacted (by commenting) because even though it was interesting to read their stories I didn't know these people and kinda found it weird to comment on something a total stranger had written about their life.
After a while I started reading my "blog-friend" San's blog (check it out here). I liked the way she wrote, I found a few things that we both had in common and one day she requested that any new readers should come out and comment to introduce themselves, so I did. It was cool to interact with someone so far away (she is a German living in California). I really enjoy meeting new people, in real life and online, there are so many interesting life stories. From there on I actually interacted with some of the people whose blogs I was reading, and after a while I thought it would be nice to start writing about my life myself. I also signed up on facebook and found a few old friends from my time in Canada and the US. One of them also had a blog and I once more thought how cool a blog is to let people far away know about you, your life and family. I hadn't seen her for like 10 years and reading how she had been was great.
I spent a lot of time online to find old friends and get back in contact with them, I told my hubby about it and he wasn't really impressed. He is working in the IT Business and was concerned about my safety. One of the first things he said was something like: "yeah, and then you tell a lot about yourself and some creep reads it and they try to hack you account or find out were you live...blahblah" He clearly didn't like the idea because he was scared I would spill everything to people I don't actually know. Same with my facebook, he didn't like the fact that I was posting pics and info about were we live and stuff. especially when it included our kids and himself. He refused to sign up himself and also found it kinda creepy that I was checking out profiles from old classmates whom I hadn't seen for like 15 years. He didn't see the need in getting back in contact with friends from the past. (Lately he did sign up though but rarely is on facebook)
Over the years I noticed that I started sharing more and more on facebook, I am also a member of a board/forum of mommys whose kids were born around the time my oldest was born and we share stories and advice, which is very helpful and the ladys there have become my closest online friends. I interacted a lot more with people on their blogs and I cared a lot less about hubby and his negative attitude towards blogging. I got used to the fact that he would roll his eyes and shake his head whenever I would start a sentence with "guess what my blog-friend said..." or " I read on a blog somewhere..." I more and more found myself thinking after a long day how nice it would be to write down my feelings, or rant a bit or share my thoughts with someone else than my hubby who rarely really listens closely anymore (I don't mean that in a bad way, I just tend to talk A LOT and his attention span is rather short). ;)
The only thing keeping me from it was, that in my close surroundings (family and friends) no one is really blogging and only a few of them are on facebook. I didn't know if they would think I am weird for spilling my life to strangers online. But lately I found a lot of cool blogs, most of them food blogs with gorgeous pictures of wonderful cakes or cupcakes. As I have started baking (plus taking pictures to share what I baked). I thought it would be nice to share some of my creations online. I posted them on facebook and got a lot of positive feedback but wanted to post more and actually write a bit about baking/cooking/my life in general. So here we go now, I gave in to the voices in my head that told me it doesn't matter what others think, do what you want and what makes you happy.
So from now on you can read my stories about the crazy life with my hubby and my two kids, my thoughts about all kind of things that are on my mind lately, my baking adventures (including my dream to open my own little bake shop) and a lot more. I will probably fulfill my hubby's wish and not share a lot about the kids (especially pics) on here. I do that on facebook because there 90% of my friends are people I know personally. If you are a new reader (meaning no one I know personally or through blogging or facebook) send me a comment, introduce yourself and I might just share more via email if I like you.
Oh and feedback/advice is always appreciated because I am new to this and after reading blog for years now I understand how important it is to know that I am not only writing this for myself.
Irene
P.S. I still have to tell hubby I started this...right now I am still not sure if I will in the near future :)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen