Freitag, 23. Mai 2014

#Spoonie

When you live with an invisible illness like Depression it is hard to explain to anyone how it is affecting your life on a daily basis. I have tried oh-so-many times to explain it to my husband, who knows me better that anyone else, why it is difficult for me to go grocery shopping on a regular saturday or why I would rather have him call the health insurance company to ask about something concerning myself because I don't feel like discussing it with them and then maybe starting to cry because it is so difficult for me to put into words how I feel. Just yesterday my mom, who had been on vacation for the last three weeks and therefore missed most of my latest "down phase", asked me why and how it started again after I felt good and only occasionally had a bad day for the last 6 months.

There are a few reasons for the "why it came back" and I tried to explain it to her and until we unfortunately had to end the call apruptly because she had to leave for an appointment, she was asking me a zillion questions and for the first time since this all started I had the feeling she really wants to know and is curious about how it has affected my life. I promised her I would write it down or we can continue the conversation on the phone later and I will tell her about something that I found on the Internet that does explain how it has affected and still affects my life.

I have come across The Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino. Christine has Lupus and during a conversation with a friend who asked her how living with her invisible illness affects her daily life developed that theory. When I was reading The Spoon Theory I thougth to myself that it is a good way to also explain how I feel. I fortunately don't have to live with constant pain on a daily basis but leading a normal life when you are some days too tired or even scared to leave the house or your energy runs out faster than usually is still difficult.

So if you are interested in reading, go check it out here

Irene

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen